How often do you set goals? How often do you revisit and reflect on your goals?
Perhaps COVID and the current lockdown has gotten in the way of achieving some of your health and fitness goals. Let this be your chance to reflect on 2021 so far and set some new attainable goals.
Why is it important to set goals?
– It helps you decide what is really important to you.
– You are able to focus all of your attention on what is most important to you.
– Going after your goals allows you to stay accountable to yourself.
– The process of achieving goals triggers new, positive behaviours.
Goal setting creates a path to where you want to go and it helps you stay focused. Achieving a goal can take a significant amount of time and effort. The distance between where you are now and where you want to be might be large, and because of this it can sometimes become overwhelming and discouraging.
So, where do you start? Let’s take it step by step and simplify the process…
1. Establish the main, bigger goal. Make sure it is specific and measurable, not vague! Ask yourself WHY is this important to you. WHY do you want to achieve this goal.
2. Break it down into smaller, realistic goals, again being specific. At Form Fitness, we call these inches.
3. Set a plan for how you’re going to achieve your smaller goals (inches).
4. Celebrate the small wins and expect hurdles. Use hurdles to reaffirm your commitment to the goal and improve problem solving skills.
5. Make sure that you are reflecting on your progress. What has worked? What is something that you could improve?
‘Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in day out.’
Focus on the process. Nail the process and achieving your goal will be a by product of your successes.
Let’s go through an example of setting a goal:
My main goal is to lose 10kg. I want to lose this by the time I go on my holiday in March 2022 (My WHY), this is where you reaffirm the importance of your goal.
Smaller goals (Inches):
– Track food intake & hit calorie target.
– Commit to my training plan by staying consistent with my weekly PT sessions.
– Track my activity in Form Fitness Strava Club.
If you have need some help with your health and fitness goals, contact us.